Port Authority of Allegheny County is committed to supporting and providing the public transit needs of Allegheny County and its citizens and visitors, expanding and promoting business, development and other opportunities within Allegheny County and seeking to advance the region’s role as a world leader.
Port Authority’s goal is to be a public transit leader, supporting regional growth and prosperity by providing public transit services and by supporting and participating in the communities of Allegheny County. To further this goal, Port Authority will consider contributions and sponsorships with external organizations that directly and substantially relate to the operation of Port Authority and will advance our mission, vision and strategic goals.
Port Authority supports and participates in the communities that it serves through contributions and sponsorships to civic, education and non-profit programs, activities and events that:
- Directly and substantially relate to Port Authority’s public transit operations, mission and goals;
- Strengthen our community outreach efforts; and,
- Enhance Port Authority’s reputation for being a public transit and community leader.
We recognize that contributions for community or charitable purposes can provide a direct benefit to Port Authority and its transit operations and system through enhanced visibility and community acceptance, which is of intangible benefit to Port Authority.
This policy and guidelines set forth the principles and practices for Port Authority in evaluating and considering proposals for charitable sponsorships and/or contributions. The purpose of this document is to outline the policy, guidelines and processes that will be used to assess any sponsorship or contribution request received by Port Authority.
All requests for charitable in-kind or financial support must be made, in writing, a minimum of 30 days in advance of the requested support, to Port Authority’s Communications Officer, by completing the Charitable Sponsorship/Contribution Request Form or the online Charitable Sponsorship/Contribution Request Form.
Or complete the form online:
Please review the guidelines below before you complete the Form.
Sponsorship and Contribution Guidelines Port Authority will consider requests that are in the best interest of Port Authority, meet these guidelines, directly and substantially relate to Port Authority’s purpose and operations, and meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Nonprofit and community events that provide messaging and outreach specific to the purpose and goals of Port Authority and include activities such as events, programs, conferences or sessions on issues related to public transit.
- Educational programs and activities relating to Port Authority’s public outreach strategy or relating to career opportunities in the public transit industry.
- Economic development, tourism or other activities relating to Port Authority’s role in public transit, growing awareness of the public transit in Allegheny County, and increasing and improving public transit service.
- Requests that advance, and are consistent with, Port Authority’s overall mission, vision and strategic initiatives and strengthen the brand of Port Authority.
- Events, programs, conferences or sessions on issues that relate to, or promote, our service area.
Requests not eligible to receive charitable sponsorship or contributions include:
- Requests that do not meet these guidelines;
- Events, activities, or organizations that do not align with Port Authority’s mission, vision or goals;
- Requests for events or activities that could potentially harm the reputation of Port Authority;
- Individual / personal requests;
- Political organizations or candidates;
- Groups that discriminate on any basis as prohibited by federal, state, or local law;
- Groups that promote violence;
- Religious organizations, unless for general community benefit and not promoting any religious doctrine; or,
- For-profit entities or organizations.
Process to be considered for charitable sponsorship or contributions:
- All requests must be in writing, using the Charitable Sponsorship/Contribution Request Form or the online Sponsorship/Contribution Request Form, and directed to Port Authority’s Communications Officer for review and final approval.
Requests made by a Port Authority Division or employee must also be approved by the applicable Port Authority Assistant General Manager; Port Authority will only consider, and potentially grant, requests to government or non-profit, tax exempt 501(c)(3) organizations; The organization for which the request is made must have a demonstrated effective program performance in addition to financial responsibility and accountability; Requests must be made at least 30 days before the requested support; Only one donation request per organization per Port Authority’s fiscal year; and, All donation requests must be within Port Authority’s budget for the applicable fiscal year and within authorized limits.
All requests for contributions and sponsorships will be accepted or rejected in the sole discretion of Port Authority.
ADOPTED VIA BOARD RESOLUTION: March 24, 2018
Please print, fill out and return the Charitable Sponsorship/Contribution Request Form (PDF) to:
Port Authority of Allegheny County
345 Sixth Avenue, Third Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
or complete the online Charitable Sponsorship/Contribution Request